with Pastor Smith

With Pastor Smith.

Friday, September 28, 2012

This week I would like to talk about prayer from 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks..."

Paul wants his readers to pause after the statement "rejoice always", and ask: "How do I 'rejoice always?' 

Paul's answer to this question is by "praying without ceasing." 

1.) There is great joy in spending time in prayer with God:

Psalm 16 11 "You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."

Psalm 43:4 "Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God."

Psalm 21: 6 "Surely you have granted him eternal blessings and made him glad with the joy of your presence." 

2.) Praying leads to Rejoicing and Rejoicing leads to Thankfulness

"pray without ceasing" leads to "rejoicing always" which leads to "in everything giving thanks..."


3.) God loves to see Gratitude, because when you are grateful, you are expressing joy with what He gave you. 

 1 Thessalonians 5:18 "for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

Gratitude is pleasurable to God, and stirs Him to shower you with more joy. God wants us to enjoy what he gives us, because it gives Him pleasure to see us enjoying His gifts, just as it gives a father pleasure to see his children enjoying the gifts he gives them. 

Luke 11:13 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!" 




No comments:

Post a Comment