with Pastor Smith

With Pastor Smith.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

David Asks For Vindication

 A Psalm of David. Vindicate me, O Lord, For I have walked in my integrity. I have also trusted in the Lord; I shall not slip. Examine me, O Lord, and prove me; Try my mind and my heart. For Your lovingkindness is before my eyes, And I have walked in Your truth.

David is bearing his heart to the Lord, and he starts with a request. He requests that God "vindicate" or execute judgement over his life. We spend so much of our lives trying to defend ourselves right, and it only makes us look more guilty. We need to let God to vindicate us. Experiencing Gods declaration of righteousness, and allowing God to fight on our behalf is the beginning of opening up our walk with God.  

"For I have walked in my integrity"

David then expresses his deeper desire to walk uprightly before the Lord. Integrity is having pure motives, and having a desire to do what is right. No one is perfect we all sin, but coming before God is about having pure motives, and desires to serve the Lord. 

 "I have also trusted in the Lord; I shall not slip."

David is not trusting in himself. He is coming before the Lord trusting in Him. When you approach God, you trust in HIm to take care of your sin, your faults, your inadequacy. You were brought to the table with nothing worthy, and God brings it all. 

 "Examine me, O Lord, and prove me; Try my mind and my heart"

To prove something is to put something to the test in order to show what is right, and remove what is not. David wants God to test him in order to bring out what was worthy in him, and take away the that which was not. When gold is put into the fire any impurities are burned off, and in the end the gold that is left is more valuable. Our God looks into our heart and sees our motives. Man can not see motives, only God can search man melting down his mind and heart. David wants his motives to be pure, because they are tried by God. David does not want to live in a world dominated by lies. Do we live in a world where we seek to justify our actions, and lie to ourselves in order to mask our pain?

"For Your lovingkindness is before my eyes, And I have walked in Your truth."

The reason David can ask to be purified by the Lord with such boldness is because he knows of the Lords faithfulness. David is confident of God's love, kindness, and mercy. Knowing God loves us should drive us before God with confidence that He will be merciful to us. God's faithfulness means not only that if He finds fault in us he will remove it, but also that he will remove it because he loves us, and He will do it in the way that is best for us. 







No comments:

Post a Comment